These Foods Have More Sugar Than You Think April 19, 2017 15:23
Processed sugar is a killer. That is a proven fact. (Look at this.) food manufacturers put in certain foods for flavor, especially 'low-fat' options. The following list of 'sugary' foods you should look at if you want to control your sugar consumption. For reference, there are about 33 grams of sugar in 12 ounces of Coca-Cola.
1. Pasta Sauce - 6-12 grams per half-cup
2. Granola Bars - 8-12 grams per bar
3. Yogurt - 17-33 grams per 8-ounce cup
4. Instant Oatmeal - 10-15 grams per 'fruit-flavored' packet.
5. Breakfast Cereal- 10-20 grams per cup (even popular oat and bran brands.)
6. Packaged Fruits - 33 grams per cup of canned fruit in light syrup.
7. Bottled Tea - 32 grams per bottle, leading brands of lemon-flavored iced tea.
8. Dried Fruit - 25 grams , a small box of raisins.
9.- Fancy Coffee Drinks - 30-60 grams of added sugar per 16 oz.
10- Pomegranate Juice - 62 grams per bottle of this 'heart-healthy' drink.
Bottom line- Read the labels!
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are:
- Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons).
- Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).