Physical activity should be an integral aspect of every senior resident's overall health routine. Here are 26 wheelchair workouts for seniors in your assisted living community.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention produces a report on Physical Activity and Health for Persons with Disabilities to assist us understand why this is important.
"Physical activity does not have to be difficult to reap health advantages."
Physical Activity Highlights from the CDCP Report:
A moderate quantity of physical activity, preferably daily, can provide significant health benefits.
- Increased physical activity can provide additional health benefits.
- People who have been sedentary for a long time should begin physical exercise programs with brief bursts of activity (5-10 minutes) and progressively increase to higher levels of activity.
- Before beginning a new physical exercise program, people with impairments should consult with their doctor.
Exercise Benefits for Seniors in Wheelchairs:
- Reduces body fat
- Reduces the chance of diabetes through increasing muscle strength, stamina, and endurance
- Improves blood flow and respiration in certain persons; lowers blood pressure in others
- Enhances immune system performance
- Reduces the likelihood of developing pressure sores and urinary tract infections.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, as well as anxiety and depression
- Enhances mood and sense of well-being